Monday, November 26, 2007

Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes


This is Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes #244 from October 1978. But you'll have to look inside to find that. You can see the DC bullet is covered over with the Whitman name. This and an assortment of other issues I purchased around that time to jump start my knowledge of the DCU, were being resold in three-issues-to-a-pack shrink-wraps...a clever way to move those returned back issues. It was great for a kid with a limited budget who wanted more comics to read.

The Whitman packs were a bit of a grab-bag, though. With three issues packaged together, you could see the covers to two of them...but the third was a mystery. I don't remember if I got any duplicates that way.

This was my first introduction to them and this team-up with Superman when he was a boy. Of course, there was a pretty big cast to meet and a whole future I knew little about, so who knows what I thought of it at first. It's fun to look back now and see that the Legion were fighting off a Khund invasion (how many thousands of such attempts by those silly Khunds as of this date...) and actually formed an alliance with the Dominators(who were the Big Bads in the Invasion miniseries of 1993).

And speaking of well-drawn super-people. Check that cover, Hubba hubba.

No comments: